Cadillac V16 Town car 1933.psd
Despite the economic downturn, Cadillac continued to build the V16 model through 1933. The company sold about 125 of the cars produced and made 400 more. The three-bar bumpers and radiator without chrome shrouds distinguish this model from other 1930's Cadillacs. The chassis was the main focus of the V-16 project. Its internals were balanced to provide low vibration. This car's interiors were trimmed in wood to match the rest of the vehicle.
The GM V16 engine was essentially two inline eights sharing a common crankshaft and cylinder banks. The cylinder banks were angled at 45 degrees and had independent fuel and exhaust systems. The new engine used overhead valves and hydraulic valve adjustment, which were industry firsts. The resulting car was near-silent and smooth. The three-speed transmission was a breakthrough in automotive design.
Throughout the 1930s, the Cadillac brand was undergoing a revival in the luxury market. The new V16 Town car was introduced at the 1933 New York Automobile Show at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It had been a year since the first one was introduced. Its name was changed to the "Aero-Dynamic Coupe" because of its sweeping back windshield. Designed for the affluent, the Aero-Dynamic Coupe featured light steering and plenty of performance. The legendary V16 engine ran silently at 100mph